Saturday, September 11, 2010

Woodland Park Zoo. Seattle, WA

On a recent visit to Seattle I wanted to do something different not expensive and not a tourist trap. So I went to the zoo.


When I told the woman next to me I was going to the zoo she assumed I was a local, because really what tourist goes to the zoo? This nut job.

I love the zoo. It’s a simple statement but true. As a kid I saw it as a prison for animals taken cruelly from their home to be trapped in cages for the amusement of humans. As an adult, I’ve seen enough to know that those walls in most cases are what stand between a species and extinction.

The Woodland Zoo of Seattle is definitely one of the best zoos I’ve been to in a longtime, despite the summer camps and day camps that infested the walk ways.

The African exhibit is 4 stars, hands down. As someone who lived there I was awed at the authenticity.



 

                


























      The Wonderful Weaver, these birds weave cocoon like structure in trees.



 
The penguin exhibit was the hit of the day and for good reason. Happy Feet!

                                           


                                                                  A Craine.

                                            


Until this day I had never head of the black-and-white Colobus of Africa. A unique primate it has a stomach like a cow, which means their bodies digest leaves better than other primates.




                                                

























                                                     A sleeping leopard. Too cute?
                                    


And Flamingos!


 What's not to love about the zoo?

No comments:

Post a Comment